Wednesday 3 August 2011

Norway

I'm sure there's not a reader who hasn't heard about the massacre in Norway recently so I don't need to go into details...
But some of you might not have heard about the two women who saved 40 people from the gunman, at huge risk to themselves. They heard the gunshots and saw people running away towards a lake, so they jumped in their own boat and went over to fish people out of the water and take them away to safety. As if this wasn't enough, they then made 4 trips taking survivors back and forth, whilst their boat was hit by bullets.
You can read the story here, and please do. I don't understand why this has not been more widely publicised and why these women have not been hailed as the heroes they are. I'd like to hope that it is not because of their sex and sexuality, but unfortunately I think this may well be the case.
Sorry to direct you to the Daily Mail (!) but I couldn't actually find articles on this story in any other newspaper when I just did a quick search, which helps prove how under-reported this story is.
Read it and pass it on. These women acted with incredible bravery and humanity and deserve recognition for risking their own lives to save so many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment